||ECEN 4610 (3). Capstone Laboratory Part 1,
ECEN 4620 (3). Capstone Laboratory Part 2.
Hands-on laboratory experience for teams of 3-5 members in the systematic
proposal, design, build integration, test, and documentation of an
electronic/computer based system. The result will be a reliably operating,
stand-alone analog/digital system, with publication quality technical
Credits and Design
||3 credit/5 contact hours. Required core course.
Electronics Design Laboratory
Digital Design Laboratory
Introduction to Probability Theory
for EE majors:
for ECE majors:
For students to:
- Understand the processes involved when conceiving, designing, implementing,
operating, evaluating, and documenting a whole electronic/computer based
system from beginning to end.
- Understand the importance of time and resource management and proper
communication when working in multi-functional and multi-cultural teams.
- Understand the role of an engineer in the context of society, environment,
global impact, and economy, and recognize the need for life-long learning.
After taking this course students will be able to recognize and use
the following concepts, ideas, and/or tools:
- Function of design reviews, including project
objectives, division of labor, schedules, risk and contingency plans,
description of software processes, and the preparation of oral presentations
and written updates.
- Project evaluation and documentation, including
detailed specification and test results for the hardware and software
components of all subassemblies, a test plan and test results for the overall
system, complete schematics and software documentation, team member evaluations,
and a final written report.
- Engineering as a profession in the modern world,
including the interplay between economic, environmental, social, political,
ethical, health, safety, manufacturability, and sustainability issues, and the
need for life-long learning.
- Laboratory equipment
- Technology: FPGAs, CPLDs, processors, controllers
- Interface construction, system integration
- Project management and working in multi-functional teams
- Preliminary design review (PDR)
- Documentation: Criteria and tools
- Printed circuit boards (PCB): Layout, manufacture, populating, rework
- Critical design review (CDR)
- Hardware/software analysis and debug tools
- Real-life engineering and multi-faceted problem evaluation
- Economic, environmental, social, and safety aspects
- Professional and ethical responsibility
- Impact of engineering in global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- Life-long learning
- Milestone 1
- Milestone 2
- Capstone Expo
Last revised: 05-16-11, PM, ARP.