ECEN 2350 - Digital Logic
Alex Fosdick, Spring 2016
Quartus II (v13.0) and ModelSim
- Important: Do not use v14 of the Quartus II software for this
class. For the DE0 boards that we use you need support for the Cyclone III device
family and v13 of Quartus II is the last version to support Cyclone III.
- Note: The following files and instructions are for the Windows operating
system. For files and instructions for the Linux operating system go to the
Altera Quartus II Website and click on "Download Software Web Edition -- Free"
(requires free myAltera Account Sign In). There is no native Mac OS support for
Quartus II, but here is a
that explains how to run Quartus II on a Macbook Air (requires Parallels and a Windows
operating system $$!).
- Windows only: Download the following files into the same (sub)directory
(e.g., QuartusII_13.0). Do not start the installation process before all
files are downloaded completely.
- Windows Installation:
- Run (double-click) "QuartusSetupWeb-184.108.40.206.exe" from the
directory to which you downloaded the above files (after all downloads are
- If you get a User Account Control screen that asks "Do you want to allow
the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this
computer?", click on "Yes".
- Click "Next" and accept the License Agreement.
- The default installation directory is C:\altera\13.0sp1. Leave that unchanged
unless you really know what you do. In particular, do not install in the
"Program Files" directory (the space between Program and Files causes
major problems in the file naming hierarchy that QuartusII is using). Click
- On the "Select Components" you should see the following components
selected for installation:
- Quartus II Web Edition (Free)
- Quartus II Software (includes NIOS II EDS) (4440MB)
- Quartus II Software 64-bit support (962MB)
- Quartus II Help (631.2MB)
- Cyclone II/III/IV (615.2MB)
- ModelSim-Altera Starter Edition (Free) (3211.7MB)
- The next screen shows the Ready to Install Summary. The required disk
space is 9861MB. Check that there is enough available disk space, then
click "Next" to start the installation process.
- Wait until installation completes (takes about 20 minutes). Click
"Finish" after selecting/unselecting "Create shortcuts
on Desktop", "Launch Quartus II", " Provide your
- On the screen that asks for the selection of a licensing option
select "Run the Quartus II software". Then click "OK".
- USB Blaster Installation. Note:
If you successfully installed the USB Blaster driver, but the Programmer in
Quartus II does not recognize the USB Blaster, try installing the
(136.6 MB). Run it once and then try using the Programmer in Quartus II
©2012-2016, P. Mathys.
Last revised: 1-10-16, AF.