Engineering Applications in Medicine:
Design of Implantable Medical Devices
MWF 2-2:50 ECCR 151
Professor: Richard Mihran
Please check this page regularly throughout the semester – Last update: 29 April, 2014
· Welcome to ECEN 4011/5011. The links below will provide you with information such as supplementary course notes and homework assignments, as well as course policies and other administrative issues. I will also use this window throughout the semester to post announcements, so please bookmark this page and check it regularly.
· The final exam will be given in our classroom on Monday, May 5th from 1:30-4 PM. Approximately 1/3rd of the exam will be directed to material presented since the second midterm, represented primarily by HW 8. The remainder of the final will be cumulative, addressing topics presented throughout the rest of the semester. The exam is closed-note and closed-book, but a page of reference equations and constants/conversions will be provided.
· Solutions for HW 8 have been posted. Please note that additional reference material for pacemakers can be found in the supplementary notes.
· (4/6) Nick Pergola from Sophono will be giving guest lectures this week on Monday and Wednesday. Please attend and take good notes. HW 7 will require you to write a summary of these lectures that will be due on Friday, April 18th. Please also note that HW 6 is due at the beginning of class on Monday, April 7th. The grader will stop by the classroom to pick these up, so it is not necessary to submit them electronically.
· (4/5) Some notes pertaining to HW 6 problem 1 have been posted here.
· (3/30) HW 6 has been posted, and is due on Monday, April 7th. We will have our normal lecture on Monday, March 31.
· (3/21) HW 5 solutions have been posted. Exam 2 will be given in class on Monday, April 14, and will cover HW 4-6 and associated lectures and reading. The exam will be closed note/book, but a reference sheet with expressions, constants and unit conversions will be provided
· (3/14) HW 5 is posted and is due on Fri, March 21. Relevant reading: CH. 11 and 13. Solutions to HW 4 have also been posted.
· (3/4) The due date for HW 4 has been extended to Friday March 7th.
· (2/24) HW 4 has been posted and is due on Monday, March 3rd. Relevant reading: Ch. 10, TAH/LVAD notes, and Abiomed TAH patent (See Supplementary Notes page for links).
· (2/14) HW 3 solutions have been posted. Exam 1 will be given in class on Friday, Feb. 21, and will cover HW 1-3 and associated lectures and reading. The exam will be closed note/book, but a reference sheet with expressions, constants and unit conversions will be provided
· (2/5) HW 3 has been posted and is due on Friday, Feb. 14th.
· HW 2 has been posted and is due on Monday, Feb. 3rd. Solutions to HW 1 have also been posted.
· Current Reading (start of the semester): Intro and Overview: Ch.1, Ch 2: 11-17; Cell Membranes, origin of resting, action and receptor potentials: Cell Membranes, origin of resting, action and receptor potentials: Ch. 4 – 5 and supplementary notes #1; The Heart: Ch. 9
· Supplementary Notes #1 has been posted, which provides additional discussion on the origin of cell membrane excitability (rest and action potentials) that you may find helpful as you work on homework assignments 1 and 2.
Lecture, Homework, Exams