Engineering Applications in Medicine:
Design of Implantable Medical Devices
MWF 12-12:50, ECEE 1B32
Professor: Richard Mihran
Please check this page regularly throughout the
semester – Last update:
· Welcome to ECEN 4021/5021. The links below will provide you with information such as supplementary course notes and homework assignments, as well as course policies and other administrative issues. I will also use this window throughout the semester to post announcements, so please bookmark this page and check it regularly.
· (12/13) The final class meeting will be Friday December 14th. Please see supplementary notes for document link.
· (11/25) There will be a regular class meeting on Monday, Nov. 26. Reminder: HW 7 is due on Friday Nov. 30th.
· (11/16) HW 7 has been posted, and is due on Friday, Nov. 30th. Relevant reading: Ch. 11, 13, and ventricular arrhythmia notes.
· (11/2) Exam 2 will be given in class on Wednesday, November 14th. It will cover HW 4-6 and associated lectures and reading. The exam is closed book, but a reference page with expressions and constants will be provided.
· (11/2) HW 6 has been posted and is due on Wed, Nov. 7th. This is a single problem addressing the skeletal muscle energy transduction system.
· (10/29) Units Clarification for HW 5: The dynamic viscosity unit of poise as it applies to problem 1(e) is a cgs unit (dyne-s/cm2) and can thus be used directly in a calculation with other units properly converted to cgs. For this problem, therefore, you must convert the pressure unit of mmHg to cgs (dyn/cm2) by multiplying by 1333.
· (10/28) HW 5 is due in class on Wed, October 31.
· (10/17) HW 4 solutions and HW 5 have been posted. Current reading: TAH/LVAD notes, Abiomed TAH patent.
· (10/8) HW 4 has been posted and is due on Monday, October 15th.
· (9/28) HW 3 solutions have been posted. There will be no HW due during the week of October 1st, to allow you to prepare for exam 1.
· (9/21) The first midterm exam will be given in class on Friday, October 5th. It will cover HW 1-3 and associated lectures/reading. The exam is closed book, but a reference page with expressions (e.g. Nernst and Goldman equations) and constants will be provided.
· (9/21) HW 3 is due on Friday, September 28th.
· (9/21) HW 2 Solutions have been posted.
(9/14) The due date for HW 2 has been extended
to Wed, Sept. 19th.
· (8/27) HW 1 has been posted and is due on Wed, Sept 5th at the start of lecture.
· (8/24) Current Reading (First ~2 wks of the semester): Intro and Overview: Ch.1, Ch 2: 11-17; Cell Membranes, origin of resting, action and receptor potentials: Ch. 4 – 5 and supplementary notes #1; The Heart: Ch. 9
Lecture, Homework, Exams: