Announcements and Updates
- One last extension: the dropbox for the Exp. 4 final report will remain open until Sunday 4/22 at 10 pm.
- Week of 4/17-4/19: finish Experiment 4 and work on Experiment 5.
- Lecture notes on driving synchronous switches, for lecture on Monday April 16
- Quiz on Exp 4 (compensator design), to be held at the beginning of class on Monday April 23.
- Solar power competition to be held on Thursday morning May 3. Tuesday section: 9-10 am. Wednesday section: 10-11 am. Thursday section: 11-12.
Update: 4/18/2018 rwe
This course is an introduction to analysis, modeling, design, and testing of electrical energy processing systems, in a practical laboratory setting. Included are power electronics converters for efficient utilization of available energy sources, and energy sources including solar panels and the utility. The semester experiments plus final design project involve design, modeling, fabrication, and testing of a solar power system.
The laboratory includes portable photovoltaic systems associated with every lab station, including 85 W PV panels, 56 A-hour batteries, 300 W inverters, and other supporting infrastructure. Associated with these systems, students design and build power conversion electronics, with analog and digital control circuitry.
The course begins with basic experiments in:
- Photovoltaic power systems and components
The course will then proceed with design experiments in the following areas:
- A maximum power point tracker using a buck converter and microcontroller
- A dc-dc boost converter with analog feedback
- A single-phase inverter
We will participate in the ECEE Department Expo during the morning of May 3. We will have a competition to see which group has built the most efficient and effective system.
ECEN 5517 involves additional work in power converters requiring deeper knowledge and understanding of power electronics.
This course is offered every spring semester. The instructor for Spring 2018 is Prof. Bob Erickson.
Spring 2010 Competition Video
- You Tube video from the Boulder Daily Camera on our Expo and competition held on 4/29/10