This course considers the design and control of power converters in electric drive vehicles. The course includes an overview of system architectures and covers system-level dynamic modeling and control using MATLAB/Simulink at levels appropriate to determine requirements and validate the performance of switched-mode power converters in the vehicle system. Analysis, modeling and design of switched-mode power converters in electric-drive vehicle systems are then covered, including battery DC-DC converters, battery management electronics, motor drive inverters and battery chargers.
- Transportation electrification
Electric drivetrain system overview
- Architectures of hybrid (HEV), plug-in hybrid (PHEV) and electric vehicles (EV)
- Vehicle dynamics, MATLAB/Simulink modeling
- System design considerations, rating and sizing of electric drivetrain components
Analysis, modeling, simulations, and design of electric drivetrain components
- Battery systems, battery managenent electronics
- Bidirectional DC-DC converters
- Inverters and motor drives
Complete system modeling and simulations
One midterm exam and one final exam. Ten to twelve one-week homework assignments.