ECEN4606 - Undergraduate Optics Lab
Lecture: Mondays, 4:00 - 5:15 pm, ECEE 1B28
Lab Sessions: Tues/Wed/Thurs, 2:00 - 5:20 pm, ECEE 105
Welcome to the Undergraduate optics laboratory!
Professor Gopinath's office hours: Thursdays 11 - noon & Fridays noon - 1 pm
TA office hours (held in ECEE 105):
Eric Dudley Monday 8-10 am, Wednesday 5:30 - 6:30 pm
Don Conkey Monday 1-2 pm **Note new time!**
1. CU Learn Questions posted, due Dec. 4th at 10 pm. Have also posted all CU Learn questions for semester.
2. Cheating of any sort will not be tolerated. Please see last week's lecture notes for more comments. If I turn you into the academic honors council, you may not graduate if you are a senior.
4. Final is Monday December 12, 7:30 am - 10:00 am, ECEE 265.
You are allowed one 8.5 x 11 sheet of notes front and back, handwritten.
You can write anything on the sheet you'd like, as long as
i) the sheet is your own work
ii) It is in your handwriting - not photocopies of book pages etc.
Final is closed book.
Topics to be covered: All lecture notes, labs, prelabs, and readings will be covered on exam
5. Practice problems for final will be handed out in Monday, Nov. 14 class. You should solve
the problems before Nov. 28th and present your solutions in class. I will give you feedback and
help you to solve the problems.
6. Final lecture notes (14 and 15) are posted.
The lab will introduce the practical and hands-on applications of photonics.
- Hands-on techniques for laser and optical systems
- Imaging, microscopy and optical image processing
- Interferometry and diffraction for metrology
- Important optoelectronic components such as laser diodes, LEDs and photodiodes
- Circuit design for optoelectronic systems
- Optical communications systems
CU Learn Questions
- Lecture 1
- Lecture 1b (to be given during lab periods of first week)
- Lecture 2
- Lecture 3
- Lecture 4
- Lecture 5
- Lecture 6
- Lecture 7
- Lecture 8
- Lecture 9
- Lectures 10 & 11
- Lectures 12
- Lectures 13
- Lectures 14 and 15
Labs and Prelabs
- Prelab #1 & Lab #1
- Prelab #2 & Lab #2
- Prelab #3 & Lab #3
- Prelab #4 & Lab #4
- Prelab #5 & Lab #5, rev 09/27/11
- Prelab #6 & Lab #6, rev 10/04/11
- Prelab #7 & Lab #7
- Prelab #8 & Lab #8
- Prelab #9 & Lab #9
- Prelab #10 & Lab #10
- Prelab #11 & Lab #11
- Prelab #12 & Lab #12
Matlab Access Options
- Introduction to Optics, 3rd edition, by Pedrotti, ISBN 0-013-149933-5
- ECEN 3400 or equivalent, ECEN 3300, Linear Systems
- ECEN 4106, Photonics